*For all orders over $55 within Australia ex. bulk & regional
Everything You Need To Know About Echinacea Tea
Echinacea tea is a sweet, floral, and fruity blend that is popular with tea drinkers worldwide. With a range of health benefits, echinacea tea reviews rave about its ability to ease symptoms of the common cold, as well as being a bright and colourful pink addition to your day. But what is Echinacea, and why is it such a popular tea drink? Read on to find out.
What Is Echinacea?
Echinacea is a group of plants that come from the daisy family. Found in North America, only three varieties of the plant are used as herbal supplements. The Echinacea herb benefits are impressive and multitudinous, ranging from reducing inflammation and improving blood sugar levels, to improving immunity and reducing feelings of anxiety.
Read on below to find out more of the amazing health benefits of Echinacea tea.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Echinacea?
Tea containing Echinacea benefits from a whole host of incredible properties, boasting anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and helping to boost immunity. We’ve gathered a list of the benefits of Echinacea tea below. Read on to find out how Echinacea tea can benefit you.
- Immune support. Echinacea’s most well-known benefit is the effect it has on the immune system. The tea is touted to help fight off and speed up recovery of the common cold. It is usually suggested that you start drinking the tea at the first signs of a cold.
- May help to lower blood sugar levels. Test tube studies have shown the benefits of echinacea in reducing blood sugar levels. Echinacea Purpurea showed the ability to suppress enzymes that digest carbohydrates, meaning less sugar would enter the bloodstream.
- Help to reduce feelings of anxiety. Echinacea contains alkamides, rosmarinic acid, and caffeic acid, all of which can help to reduce feelings of anxiety.
- Anti-inflammatory properties. Echinacea works well to reduce excessive inflammation in the body.
- Help to support healthy skin. Due to Echinacea’s anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, the herb is a good aid to inflammatory skin conditions and supports healthy skin function.
- May protect against some cancers. In a series of studies, Echinacea has been shown to be effective in killing off cancer cells, though human trials still need to be carried out.
- Relieves pain. Echinacea has traditionally been used to relieve pain, including toothaches, cramps, and pain from rheumatoid arthritis.
Though there are varied health benefits from Echinacea tea, pregnant people should not drink Echinacea tea without seeking medical advice first. You may also be wondering, is echinacea tea safe while breastfeeding? Much the same as previously stated, it is recommended that you seek guidance before consuming Echinacea while breastfeeding.
Research has been conducted on the benefits of Echinacea tea for babies and children, and though there are some potential benefits, it is not recommended that you give echinacea to children under 12 without medical guidance first.
Our Favourite Echinacea Teas
Now you know all the health benefits of Echinacea tea, why not take a look at the list below of our favourite Echinacea-containing teas.
- Pukka Elderberry & Echinacea Tea. This fruity and floral blend offers a revitalising drink full of nutrients from its many herbal ingredients. Combining Echinacea and elderberry with ginger root, peppermint leaves and aniseed makes this tea the perfect aid to the common cold and other upper respiratory infections.
- Yogi Echinacea Immune Support Tea. This tea works to support the immune system by combining Echinacea with peppermint, liquorice, and fennel. The ingredients work to aid the immune system and to soothe respiratory symptoms.
- Planet Organic ImmuniTea Herbal Tea. A simple and soothing blend of Echinacea, elderflower and olive leaf make this tea a great antidote to the lethargy of the common cold.
- Kintra Loose Leaf Tea Immunity. A loose leaf blend that aims to fight off infection and combat feelings of tiredness and stress, this tea combines Echinacea with ginger, spearmint, and gingko leaf to support the immune system all year round.
Echinacea has several incredible benefits. It is used the world over as an effective treatment for the common cold and has been used in traditional medicine for centuries. Echinacea provides a fruity and floral flavour meaning teas containing it are energising and refreshing, as well as being packed full of goodness. We love Echinacea tea, and we think you will too!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it OK to drink echinacea tea daily?
As a tea packed with nutrients and vitamins, Echinacea-based tea is safe to be consumed all day, every day. Though sometimes used to stave off an approaching cold, this kind of tea can be used to support the immune system all year around.
What is echinacea tea good for?
Echinacea tea is an effective treatment for symptoms of the common cold and other respiratory infections. It can also help to reduce feelings of anxiety and treat inflammatory skin conditions, like eczema.
Why is Echinacea bad for you?
Echinacea can make some people feel dizzy and nauseous and can cause allergic reactions in some people. Echinacea should not be taken while pregnant and breastfeeding, unless your doctor says it is okay. Others who should avoid Echinacea are those with autoimmune disorders.
How often should I drink echinacea tea?
You can drink Echinacea tea as often as you would like. It is particularly beneficial when you are feeling under the weather or have a minor illness like the common cold.